The purpose of this article is to explain how to identify a phishing email. Phishing emails pretend to be legitimate emails to steal login credentials or other person information.
Ways to spot a phishing email:
- Double check the email address that sent the message. Often, the email will not be from the domain it claims to be. Phishers will use emails that appear very close.
- Check the spelling on the email message. Often these scams will have spelling or grammar mistakes.
- Hover over the links in the email to see where those lead. If it is from a phishing scam it will lead to an entirely different website.
- Generally these won’t have your name in them. They will be generic like “Account Holder” or “Valued Customer”
- Phishing emails will often have a sense of urgency and threaten losing your account unless action is taken.